- You can connect your PS4 controller to a PC using a micro-USB cable or wirelessly via Bluetooth.
- With a USB, you can connect to your PC via Steam or DS4 Windows Utility.
- If your PC supports Bluetooth, you can pair and connect your controller wirelessly.
If you enjoy using a PS4 controller for PC gaming, you'll be glad to know that there are a few ways to connect your PS4 controller to your Windows 10 PC.
Two of these methods involve a wired connection (via a micro-USB cable), and the third involves pairing your controller wirelessly via Bluetooth.
Here's how to connect your PS4 controller to a PC in three different ways, and how to reconnect your PS4 controller to your PS4 console.
How to connect PS4 controller to PC with a USB
If you want to connect your PS4 controller with a micro-USB cable (the same cable you use to charge the controller), you have two options: via Steam or the DS4 Windows Utility.
Connect via Steam
If you're a PC gamer, chances are you have a Steam account, which you can use to connect a PS4 controller.
1. Open the Steam app and click the Big Picture Mode icon in the top-right. It looks like a square with two arrows pointing out.
2. Once in Big Picture Mode, select the gear-shaped Settings icon at the top-right.
3. Under the Controller tab, click Controller Settings.
4. Check the box for PlayStation Configuration Support.
5. Plug the PS4 controller into your PC using the micro-USB cable. Make sure the backlight on the controller glows to indicate that there's a connection.
6. Steam should automatically detect and configure your controller. Click it when it appears at the bottom of the page.
Connect via DS4 Windows Utility
If you want to use your wired controller with a non-Steam game, this is another option.
1. In a web browser on your PC, go to the DS4 Windows website. Click Download Now.
2. You'll be redirected to Github. Find and click the DS4Windows.zip file, then download it onto your computer.
3. Find the downloaded .zip file on your computer and open it, then double-click DS4Updater and click Extract All.
4. Pick a location for the files to be extracted to. It should be a location that you can find easily.
5. Once extracted, open the location you picked and double-click DS4Windows. If you're asked to confirm that you want to run the program, click Run.
6. You'll be asked where you want to save the program's files. If you don't care where they go, pick Appdata. If you want to be able to move them around, pick Program Folder and select a location.
7. Once you've picked a spot to save the files, click Step 1: Install the DS4 Driver and let the program install its files. If you're asked whether you'd like to install the software, click Install.
You can now use the PS4 controller on your PC with a micro-USB cable, although you may need to restart your computer first.
How to connect PS4 controller to PC with Bluetooth
If your PC supports Bluetooth, you can pair and connect your controller wirelessly.
1. Open your PC's search menu (you can press the Windows key + Q to open it immediately) and search for Bluetooth.
2. Select Bluetooth and other devices settings in the search results.
3. Make sure your computer has Bluetooth enabled by setting the switch labeled Bluetooth to On.
4. Hold down the Playstation and Share buttons on your controller until the backlight starts flashing.
5. On your PC, click Add Bluetooth or other device, and select Bluetooth.
6. You'll see your PS4 controller listed as Wireless Controller. Click it to finalize the connection. If you're asked for a passcode, enter 0000.
How to reconnect controller to PS4 console
To reconnect a PS4 controller to your PS4 console after using it with a PC, you'll need to physically connect the controller to the console with a USB.
Then, press the PS button on the controller. Once you've followed these steps, you can remove the USB cable and use your controller wirelessly.
Abigail Abesamis Demarest is a contributing writer for Insider based in New York. She loves a good glazed donut and nerdy deep dives into the science of food and how it's made.
Emma Witman is an Asheville, NC-based freelance journalist with a keen interest in writing about hardware, PC gaming, politics, and personal finance. She is a former crime reporter for a daily newspaper, and has also written extensively about bartending for Insider. She may or may not judge your drink order when behind the bar. Follow her on Twitter at @emwity.
Can I use PS4 controller on PC using USB cable? ›
You can connect your PS4 controller to a PC using a micro-USB cable or wirelessly via Bluetooth. With a USB, you can connect to your PC via Steam or DS4 Windows Utility. If your PC supports Bluetooth, you can pair and connect your controller wirelessly.How to pair PS4 controller to PC? ›
- Hold controller's Share and PS button until it flashes.
- Push dongle button until it starts flashing.
- Or, add your controller in your PC's Bluetooth menu.
- Pairing should happen automatically.
- Don't unplug the adapter, it'll save the last connection.
If your PS4 controller won't connect, try a different USB cable, in case the original one has failed. You can also reset the PS4 controller by pressing the button on the back of the controller. If your controller still won't connect to your PS4, you might need to get support from Sony.How do I put my PS4 controller in USB mode? ›
Connect the USB cable to one of the USB ports on the PS4. Connect the micro USB side of the cable to the port at the top of your PS4 controller. Press the round PlayStation button in the middle of your controller until the lightbar of the controller lights up in blue.Why is my PC not detecting my PS4 controller? ›
If your PS4 controller is connected to Windows PC through Bluetooth but it's not detected, you should also try to fix the problem by re-enabling the Bluetooth: disable the computer's Bluetooth (from the Windows Action Center or from the Windows Settings menu) -> wait for a few seconds -> enable it again -> try to pair ...How do I connect my PS4 controller to my PS4 without Bluetooth? ›
- Step 1: Plug the USB cable into the controller, then into the USB port in the PlayStation 4.
- Step 2: When you turn on your PS4, your controller should automatically connect with your PlayStation, thanks to the USB cable.
Plug a micro-USB charging cable into the top of the controller and plug the other end into your PC. If you're using an Xbox Series X|S, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, or Xbox Adaptive Controller, connect your controller by using a USB-C cable.Can you connect DUALSHOCK 4 to PC without cable? ›
While pressing and holding the SHARE button, press and hold the PS Button until the light bar flashes. Enable Bluetooth on your device, and then select the controller from the list of Bluetooth devices. When pairing is complete, the light bar blinks, and then the player indicator lights up.How can I use a controller without Bluetooth? ›
It's a USB dongle designed to connect directly to your Xbox gamepad without any Bluetooth setup or pairing. All you need to do is plug in the dongle and pair it to your controller just as if you were pairing your Xbox, pressing the Pairing button on each device.Why won't my controller connect through USB? ›
Some USB devices, including incompatible or defective USB cables, can interfere with wireless signals. Unplug all USB devices connected to your Xbox or PC (wireless hardware, external hard drives, other wired controllers, keyboards, and so on). Restart your Xbox or PC and try connecting the controller again.
Why is my controller not connecting to my PC? ›
Windows might sometimes be unable to detect your gamepad due to an overload of devices plugged in to your machine. Try to disconnect other plug-and-play devices and see if the issue persists. In addition, if you're using a USB hub, be sure to disconnect your gamepad from the USB hub and connect it directly to your PC.How do I enable USB controller? ›
Connect that USB receiver to an available USB port on the front or back of your computer. After connecting the USB receiver to your computer, find the power switch on the joystick or gamepad, and flip that switch to the on position.How do I connect a wired controller to my PC? ›
The most straightforward way to connect your Xbox controller and PC is with a micro-USB cable (for Xbox One controllers) or a USB-C cable (for Series X|S controllers). Simply plug the slim end into your Xbox controller and the other end into a USB port on your PC.Does my PC have Bluetooth? ›
If you see a Bluetooth icon when looking at the lower right tool tray on your computer screen or in the top tool bar, your computer likely supports it. You can also do a manual check by completing these steps: From your Windows search bar, type in “Device Manager” Click it to open.How do I manually connect Bluetooth to my PC? ›
On your PC, select Start > Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices > Add Bluetooth or other device > Bluetooth. Choose the device and follow additional instructions if they appear, then select Done.Can you play controller on PC with USB? ›
If your joystick or gamepad is wired, connect the USB cable to any USB port available on the computer. If your joystick or gamepad is wireless, it should come with a USB receiver that transmits a signal to and from it. Connect that USB receiver to an available USB port on the front or back of your computer.How do I connect my PS4 controller to my PC with wired steam? ›
Simultaneously hold the PS and Share button on the PS4 controller until it enters pairing mode and starts flashing. Find Wireless Controller of type gamepad in the bluetooth device list. Press the (A) button to pair with the PS4 controller.Can you connect Dualshock 4 to PC without cable? ›
While pressing and holding the SHARE button, press and hold the PS Button until the light bar flashes. Enable Bluetooth on your device, and then select the controller from the list of Bluetooth devices. When pairing is complete, the light bar blinks, and then the player indicator lights up.How do I manually connect a controller to my PC? ›
Plug a micro-USB charging cable into the top of the controller and plug the other end into your PC. If you're using an Xbox Series X|S, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, or Xbox Adaptive Controller, connect your controller by using a USB-C cable.